7.13.2011

Welcome Back to My Blog

Well hello! It certainly has been a while. I blame the lack of internet for my absence. Living next to the clubhouse has allowed me many opportunities to use the interwebz. I guess mostly I just haven't had anything worth updating. Then again, I am a writer, and writers are supposed to be able to make the most mundane of stories somewhat entertaining. So I promise to do my best. Life these past five months has pretty much been the same old, same old. If you are confused as to what my "same old, same old" happens to be, please feel free to peruse my previous entry "My So-Called Life," as I do not wish to sound repetitive.

I've been spending a lot of time in my new apartment. Well, I guess by now Andie and I have lived here for five months.


the not-so-new apartment

For the first few months, I mostly watched movies and played card games while listening to music. Sound fun? Just wait. It gets better. To make life slightly more exciting, Andie and I finally hooked up a couple of game systems, the Nintendo Wii and... wait for it... the SNES!!! For those of you too young to know that anagram, it stands for Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It's pretty much the best thing ever. I never owned an SNES as a child. The oldest system I had (and still have) is the Nintendo 64. Speaking of which, I would love to get that here in Florida (Kthnx, Ann!). I've definitely made up for lost time with the SNES though. Whether I've been saving Princess Toadstool in "Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3," losing subscriptions in "Paperboy 2," or helping a couple of chimps rescue their ape friend in "Donkey Kong 2: Diddy Kong's Quest," I have been having a blast!
the game I refuse to play

It's also fun to watch Andie play while I veg out on the sofa. She has this game called "ActRasier." It's a mixture between "The Sims" and old school arcade games. You're playing as some angel, and you have to build six different communities. That's the "Sims" part of the game. At the beginning and end of each level, the game turns into arcade mode, and you have to fight
the forces of darkness who are preventing life in these towns. It's very entertaining to watch Andie fight the evil bosses. (All about that Gryffindor, maaan. I'm a Hufflepuff.) When she's fed up she asks if I want to play, to which I quickly respond, "NO!"

Don't worry. I haven't wasted my life away gaming. I've actually read a few books since my last post. No, I haven't read The Simarillion yet (I'll ship that back s
ometime, Michal :)). I read The Catcher in the Rye for the first time ever. I know. How did I make it through adolescence without reading that one? There's actually a few classics I have never read, and most of them are collecting dust on the bookshelf right next to me so maybe (just maybe) I'll scratch a few classics off my yet-to-read list. Anyway, I enjoyed Rye very much. I identified with Holden Caulfield somewhat. We're both different from everybody else, and we both have some desire to protect that certain childhood innocence. Fun read!

My second read was The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno. It follows the life of a... guess what... former boy detective who has one unsolved case: why his sister killed herself. It may sound morbid, but the tale is actually quite whimsical. The entire time I was reading it I kept thinking to myself, "This would be a great Wes Anderson flick!" Are you listening,
Hollywood? Get to it!

Because I enjoyed Meno's style of
writing, I bought another one of his novels, Hairstyles of the Damned. This particular story is a tad more realistic, and it reminded me here and there about how crappy adolescence can be. Needless to say, I have yet to finish it, but I plan to one of these days! Instead, I decided to peruse Tina Fey's autobiography Bossypants. It's absolutely fantastic! I cannot stress enough how wonderful and utterly hilarious this book is. Tina Fey, you are quite simply the most awesome person ever. Thank you for sharing your witty, if somewhat exaggerated, account on your life with the rest of the world. It was very much appreciated by this guy (points to Linus the chihuahua).

So yeah, that's the books I've read. I know that's only three books, which may not seem like a lot, but honestly, it's more than I've read the past couple of years so I'm slowly but surely getting back into reading. Yay progess!

I've also ventured to the movie thea
ter a couple of times (what? never!). Out of all the superhero movies coming out this year, I have only watched...
oops, wrong one...
...Thor!

Step away from Natalie Portman, man. Haven't you seen Black Swan?! She's cray cray! Thor is surprisngly a lot of fun, and I was shocked to discover Shakespearean actor Kenneth Branagh is the director. Good job, sir!
Next up is Bridesmaids, which is just as funny as EVERYBODY said it was supposed to be. It's the perfect vehicle for Kristen Wiig's incredibly awkward humor. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. I myself am extremely awkward.
Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris is a
sublime return to form for the director. It reminded me of The Purple Rose of Cairo. Instead of Mia Farrow longing to live in the fantasy of the silver screen, Owen Wilson longs for the Golden Age of Paris in the 1920s. The message at the end is absolutely superb. Great film!
Last but not least, Super 8. Ahh, what to say about Super 8 that hasn't already been said... It's a blatant love letter to Spielberg's films of the 70s and 80s (i.e. E.T. and The Goonies), with a mash-up of The Monster Squad and Cloverfield thrown in just for fun. It was mucho appreciated by this film buff who sometimes longs to be a part of a not too distant past.

I think that pretty much brings everyb
ody up to date with my latest and greatest. I told you it's not a lot, but hey, that seems to be my life! Hopefully, my next entry is not five months from now, which would be in... December. Eek! Until next time, please entertain yourself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

Remember, you can't hug every cat!

0 comments: